Monday 11 February 2013

Today I Learnt.... What Happens When You Live Out Of Your Car For A Year

I traveled a lot last year, lived between my house out in Trafalgar, my mum's, my dad's, my step mum's and my friend's houses. Also, I'm lazy. What happened because of this? Well, everything I own slowly ended up in my car. As well as most of the soccer pitch.

Now there are many benefits of living out of your car:
1. You always have a change of clothes
2. You never have to worry about not having the right pair of shoes with you
3. You are prepared for pretty much everything minus a nuclear war
and
4. You know where everything is

But there are a few downsides as well, such as losing an incredible amount of socks and your car smelling of the combination of dust + old coffee + feet.

So today I tackled the seemingly impossible task of cleaning my car, inside and out; and I learnt many things.

1. When you let dirt settle for a year it seems to attach itself with surprising strength to the paintwork of your car. Subsquently even though my car is now sparkling I still have my sister's name and "Wash Me" engraved on the back.

2. It's nice to see the original colour of your car return. In my case this colour is "guava" (welcome back you sparkly not-quite-orange-not-quite-pink colour that makes my car so easy to spot in a carpark)

3. I am now rich in coins

4. I consumed a lot of coffee last year

5. I no longer have to go stationery shopping for the year, in fact, I can probably open my own shop

6. I now own way too many socks. Also, there is surprising joy in uncovering socks one at a time, thinking "Oo I think I found the other one in this pair a few minutes ago", searching through your pile of lone socks, finding the one you're looking for, and then reuniting the two.

And

7. Finding long lost objects is like finding gold. (Hello, guitar tuner, how I've missed you!)

So now my car is all clean, my day has been successful and I have learnt many things. Truthfully, though, I miss my messy car with its oh so distinctive smell. Its okay though, I have the whole year to do it all over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment