Friday 8 February 2013

Today I Learnt..... My Potential New LandLord is Definitely Crazy

This actually happened yesterday, but anyway.

In exactly 23 days I'm moving up to Darwin for 10 months, because I had the brilliant brainwave that it would be grand to move to a place thats 36 degrees all year round with 90% humidity. In a typical me kind of way I have yet to organise any form of accomodation, you know, I'm that everything-always-works-out-2-days-is-plenty-of-time-to-book-flights-and-longterm-accomodation person. So after discovering that Darwin is unreasonably expensive and that I was unwilling to compromise on the presence of airconditioning in my future home, I found the perfect place.

3 bedrooms
$170 per week including all bills
airconditioning
fully furnished rooms
on an acre of rainforest
resort style pool
easy access to public transport
close to the university, beach, shops and hospital

So naturally I jumped at the advertisement, emailed the lady immediately, and secured my position in the hosue. I couldn't believe that this house was still available!! The lady told me to call her before coming up to Darwin. So I did, and this was the following conversation:

Lady: (cough, cough, pause, croaky voice) "Ello"
Me: Hi, is this Suzy?
Lady: Yes
Me: Its Bron from Melbourne, you asked me to call about a room?
Lady: Yes
(Long pause)
Me: So I'm calling?
Lady: Yes
(Long pause)
Me: Do you think you'll have a room for me to rent?
Lady: Are you in Darwin?
Me: No, I'm coming up on the 25th of Feb
Lady: Yes you are
(Long pause)
Me: So do you think you'll have a room?
Lady: what day is it today?
Me: Ahhh Thursday
Lady: no, what DAY is it today
Me: (long pause), ahhh the 7th?
Lady: Okay I'll pick you up from the airport
(Hangs up the phone)

Just a few questions ran through my mind:
1. Why is she picking me up from the airport?
2. Does she even have a house for me?
3. How well do I remember my kickboxing?
4. How much would it hurt to jump out of a moving vehicle in case I have to flee?

Now most people would have the sense to tell the Lady they're not interested, but I'm kind of curious to find out just how crazy she truly is. So I will see her on the 25th, get into her car, and rent a room from her for a year.

I'm going to love Darwin if all its people are like her!

No comments:

Post a Comment