Monday 18 February 2013

Today I Learnt.... Fitting My Life Into 23kg Is Not Easy

It's only 7 days until I move, and I now I face the dilemna of packing. I have exactly 23kg of baggage allowance (which has to be all in one bag), plus an extra 20kg for textbooks.

I wasn't really worried about packing, I didn't really think I owned a lot of stuff and when I moved up to Traf this year I managed to do so in one car load. So I started this morning optimistically and decided that the best way to pack was to take everything out of my wardrobe, and everything out of my room, and dump it on the lounge room floor (my mum was thrilled at this idea). That way I could just make two piles: "to Darwin" and "Not to Darwin"

Unfortunately, two things became obviously apparent:
1. I do, in fact, own a lot of clothes
2. Clothes, despite being individually very light, accumulatively are extrememly heavy.

But even these two things weren't my biggest problem. My biggest problem was that the stuff  I wanted to take (every soccer shirt I own and my bouncy ball collection) were not necessary, and the stuff I didn't want to take (shoes, hospital clothes and textbooks) unfortunately were very necessary.

So I was stuck.

And thats where I am now, writing this blog post from the only lounge room chair not covered with my stuff, surveying everything I own. Not even my mum's threats of "no dinner unless this floor is clean by the time I get home" can move me. I think I'll have to compromise; take half stuff I want and half stuff I need (even though I don't want to. If I was three I would totally throw a tantrum and yell "its not fair" multiple times. Apparently I can't do that because I'm an adult now).

Oh, and I need to find a way to cleverly smuggle my guitar onto the plane. I'm hoping I just happen to stumble across a person on the same flight as me with no checked in luggage and who would be happy for me to use theirs for it. Unlikely I know, but still possible!

The silly thing is that if my baggage allowance was 5kg I would have no problem at all, because really I don't need all that much (I mean, I wear the same clothes over and over anyway), it's the choice that's messing me over.

No comments:

Post a Comment