Monday 25 February 2013

Today I Learnt..... About Accommodation Darwin Style

See I'm living in a commune, which is apparently all the rage here in Darwin. It's considered trendy and "hip", but really, it's where 10+ people live together on a property and take the whole "sharehouse" thing to a new level! For me, this "property" is a rainforest. Not just a little on either, an acre of one. Don't worry, they told me they very rarely find crocodiles near the house, it's just the snakes that I have to watch out for. That was comforting.
This is the view from my room:



I live in a room, adjoined to two others, in a sort of bungalow which looks sort of like those cabins you used to stay in during school camps. Or even just a shed. It probably more looks like a shed:



With no air conditioning, no proper bed, no curtains, no actual windows, no kitchen, no shower and no toilet. Who needs these things anyway!!



See you walk (read: get disorientated and lost) down a rainforest path to an "outside kitchen":



And a little further to the outside "bathroom":



Yes, that's right, there are no curtains, four walls or a real door. Goodbye self consciousness!!
No only that but it also comes with a few extra friends....... frogs in the shower!!!



(I did tell one of the girls about the frogs and she was like "Only 2? How sad! I wonder what happened to the rest of them." Guess its the norm around here)

It does have a pool though:



People come and go every few weeks, and at the moment there are 8 people camping out in sleeping bags on the main house verandah. It certainly isn't boring!! Pretty sure when I come back to Melbourne I  will be a converted hippy! Also, my landlord is her own special kind of character. And even that is the understatement of the year. But that is a blog post for another day.

I've decided to embrace this living style; I feel that it will be character building. Or soul destroying. It could go either way. I'm hoping for the former! Plus, I came to Darwin for a change in lifestyle, and boy am I getting it already!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment