Saturday 9 February 2013

Today I Learnt..... Well, Rediscovered..... The Perfect Lunch

Toast + Margarine + Vegemite + Grated Cheese = The perfect lunch

Now, I bet you're wondering what is so good about the simple combination of vegemite and cheese on toast. Surely there are much better lunch options out there right?!

You are indeed right, I can think of many more favourable lunch options.

But cheese and vegemite holds a special place in my heart.

Is it because I had it for lunch nearly everyday of my high school existence?
Is it because it's impossible to spread vegemite without shredding the bread and making a hole in the process?
Or is it because it simply tastes so damn good?

Probably all of the above really. All I know is that I've had this combination for the past three days and it makes me so happy its actually ridiculous. As soon as I bite into the deliciousness that is my lunch I am filled with memories.

The time my tennis partner spent hours over this same breakfast teaching my dad how to plait my hair

The first time I babysat when I was 13 and could only offer the kids this for lunch

How every time I felt sick in the tummy when I was young, vegemite toast was my mums answer, and she was always right

How I literally lived on toast with basic spreads the whole first year I moved out of home

The endless camps I led on, surrounded by people and children who were so hungry from a jam packed day that they ate these sandwiches like they were the best things they've ever had

And most recently, two days ago, spending time with a friend who is the closest friend I've ever had, and realising just how much I've grown over the last few years and how much I've changed.

Memory Food. Making ordinary food extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment