Friday 5 April 2013

Today I Learnt.... I have a new musical calling

I like music. I like singing loudly and out of tune (cars and showers being my specialty). I like dancing like a loser. I like overly bright Hawaiian shirts. 

Too uncoordinated for the piano or the guitar

Not serious enough for the flute or the violin

Lungs not big enough for the trumpet, trombone, tuba or French horn (also, incapable of doing the buzzing thing required for them to make a sound)

Definitely not cool enough for the drums

And have way too much pride for the triangle and the recorder.

If only there was an instrument that suited me!! Oh wait, there is!!

Drum roll.....

....... THE UKULELE!!

My only problem with it is that for some reason it has become cool to play the ukulele; and I'm not really ready for all that pressure to be cool.

But never fear, I have found a way to de-cool-ify the ukulele!!

I have joined the hospital ukulele band. That's right. There is such a thing! 8 middle aged researchers with their over-zealous, over-ambitious, slightly-mad-scientist-crazy conductor, come together every Friday lunchtime to practice for 90min over hot cups of tea and coffee. They even play in competitions and put on shows with PowerPoint presentations featuring lasers (just like playing in a real rock band! Ha. Ha.)

Downside: they play songs by old bands I don't know, like the Carpenters (who apparently were this crazy brother-sister band who were madly in love with each other)

Upside: not knowing the songs gives me an excellent excuse to be terrible at them! Winning!

I know exactly 4 chords now, which pretty much makes me a ukulele expert, and I have to say it is a damn fine instrument.

Housemates, start looking forward to my endless strumming of the same chords and excellent monotonal singing voice. I know you'll have as much fun with this new adventure of mine as I will!

Ah, life is so happy! Ukulele happy!








No comments:

Post a Comment